Pages

Sunday, June 22, 2008

in May

One hot May afternoon, I lay on my bed, thinking of the things that passed, and wondered for the things that might come...

It was during the most productive days that she has come to meet someone nice and wonderful. She saw him everyday, as he purchased CDs on the music store she was working in. The first time she saw him, he stepped out of his car and lost mindedly came in. She asked him what specific CD he was looking for, he stared at her, face blank. He said he's still thinking, nothing specific yet. So she went to ask another customer. When she was near the cash register, she had a better view of him, he was not really tall, not too cute but cute. Maybe it was imagination, but she saw him smile, so she smiled back. He walked towards her but not to ask for her name, he just handed her his CD. She tolf him that she would wrap the CD for him, so she wrapped the CD. The following day, she saw him again, she was surprised to see him walking up at her. She asked her if she could help him pick, so she did. As he paid for the second CD, she wrapped the CD for him again. He thanked her. As a reply she looked at him and smiled, she was staring directly at his eyes, they were so intense, he was staring... at her? Then he smiled and said goodbye. Everyday was like the first, he stepped inside the store, bought a CD and she wrapped them again and again, she wrapped them just for him. She wrapped all the CDs he bought, all just for him.

I know he was occupying most of her thoughts, but what were his thoughts, they were never clear. Until came the day, alas, he asked her her name. And he asked her out, but she refused, she has things scheduled to do, but as appreciation, she said she'll give him a call when she'd have the time. But I know inside she is dying to go out with him, spend some time with him, some real good time.

After three days of not seeing him at the store she called him, she gave him a call because... she missed him. His mother picked up the call and she was surprised to hear a girl looking for her son Ryan, all she could reply was a muffled cry. The mom told her that Ryan passed away sooner than what the doctor adviced. She gave excuses for every night of the wake, she said she cannot come. As she put the phone down, she closed her eyes and tears rolled... she thought...

But I was at the burial, it was the early days of May. I saw him, I saw my friend, it made me cry. His mother brought all the CDs he started collecting for a short period. The CDs all wrapped just for him. She wrapped them all just for him. I waited until the other mourners left. I came to his mothe rand asked for a CD, she handed me one. I tore the wrap carefully, careful not to tamper with the memories of it all because I wrapped the CD just for him. A small paper fell, I picked it up and handed it to his mother, it read:

Hi I think you are really cute. I hope to see you again and hope to be friends with you.

His mother wept. She said that if son just opened the wrapped CD. If he just opened it. I shook my head and said that if he only opened at least one of the numerous CDs. His mother opened another and found another little note. As she read the note, I said goodbye to her. And said silent goodbyes to my friend too.

Sad. If he just told me. Or is it if I just told him? I shouldn't have held myself back. Held myself back from liking him. Like those wrapped CDs, if I just opened myself to knowing him more, we wouldn't have wasted time.

I have a precious lesson learned. If you are inlove, say it to the lucky one. They are lucky for real love doesn't come easy. For it is music to the ears... a melody in the heart. Take time, yes, but don't take too long. For love might pass you by, pass you by and miss your time. Love is not love unless expressed. It is selfish love if you just keep it inside you, keep it inside until it fades, and it aches most of the time. It is ideal love if it is appreciated and returned. You are an ideal person if you give unconditional love to someone, a love without the expectations of an immediate reward. It is important to wait for your right time but never waste precious time. And if still waiting, it pays to keep in mind that a better gift is given and unwrapped at the peak of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment